History and Memorials
Let's make history together !
· The Founding of Eta State (which is now known as NC DKG) was on October 27, 1934 by twelve recognized women leaders in education in North Carolina.
· Alpha Chapter in Greensboro and Beta Chapter in Raleigh were chartered April 17, 1936.
· Gamma Chapter in Asheville followed closely on April 25, 1936.
· Delta Chapter was chartered in Greenville in November, 1937.
· The first issue of the state Bulletin, 1941 reported eleven existing chapters.
· By 1951 there were twenty-four chapters with a membership slightly over one thousand.
· In 1961 there were 43 chapters.
· Originally the election of state officers took place in even-numbered years but in 1950 this was changed so that national and state officers would be elected in alternate years.
· In 1944 the position of executive secretary was created as a volunteer position. It was held by Edith Gilbert until 1968.
· By 1955 Eta State (now known as NC DKG) was able to establish a regular scholarship program.
· The first convention was held May 4, 1937 in Greensboro, NC.
· Eta State News was initiated in 1955.
· Gamma Zeta Chapter of Carteret County, NC, was formed on May 15, 1976, by Janice Fulcher, Annie Salter, Rebecca Whitaker, Jackie Davis, Ann Harvell, Betty Mizelle, Erma Quinn, Edith Nachman, Virginia Knowles, Dorothy Heath, Mildred Lawrence, Jane Nelson, Dorothy Piner, Rachel Becton, Nina Garnder, Betty Tillery, Beth Taylor, Lucy Dunn, Helen Bailey, Lena Duncan, Barbara Yeomans, Barbara Willis
In Memory of Pat Ingram Fish (2018), Rachel Becton (2019), Amelia Luther (2020), Betty Quinn (2021)
Photo top row from left to right are Cindy Bivens, Dr. Cathy Tomon, Dana Sullivan, Opal Bostic, Debra Stinson, NC Rep. Pat McElraft Julia Thorn, Phyllis Parker, Missy Bailey, Dora Edwards. Seated from left to right are Alice Copes, Betty Quinn, Becky Lail, Susan Merrell, and June Vann.
May 2018 Officer Induction with NC State Representative Pat McElraft. President Julia Thorn, Past President Dora Edwards, 1st VP Becky Lail, 2nd VP Susan Merrell, Secretary Martha Edwards, Treasurer Jasa Ellis, Corresponding Secretary June Vann, Parliamentarian Bonnie Ferneau
2016 Visit with NC DKG State President Pat Taylor. Attorney Jane Gordon speaker on domestic law.
Standing from left to right: Dora Edwards, Julia Thorn, Bonnie Ferneau, Alice Copes, Gail Barnes Wilson (Ginny Temple not in photo) 2014